A respiratory physiotherapist helps people that have problems with their lungs and breathing.
Why you might need to see a respiratory physiotherapist
Perhaps you’ve been struggling with breathing issues for a long time, or perhaps you’ve only just been diagnosed with a breathing problem. No matter your situation, if you’ve been diagnosed with, or are experiencing, any of the following, then seeing a respiratory physiotherapist could help:
- Persistent Cough
- Recurring chest infections or pneumonia
- Problems with hyperventilating
- Feeling breathless
- Abnormal breathing pattern / Breathing Pattern Disorders
- Struggling to clear phlegm from your chest
- Recent heart, lung, or abdominal surgery
What to expect from your first appointment
You’ll come in and have a 1 to 1 session with our specialist physiotherapist. They’ll take a history and ask you lots of questions to understand how your condition affects you and impacts on your daily life, as well as assessing how you breathe and listening to your chest.
Once they have a clear picture of where you’re at, you’ll start treatment! This will involve learning techniques that you can do at home, which with regular practice will help you get on top of your problem.
Your treatment could involve
- Education about/on your condition ; Lifestyle advice to manage your condition to enable Self-management
- Learning airway clearance techniques or prescription of specialist respiratory adjuncts / equipment
- Provision of an individualised exercise programme aimed at improving your respiratory fitness
- Advice on using your inhaler correctly (if you use one)
- Learning tactics to help you manage an episode of difficult breathing
- Relaxation techniques
- Improving the efficiency of your breathing
Much of your treatment will take place at home and should become part of your daily routine. With regular and consistent practice, you should see an improvement and feel much better! We would also recommend booking a series of appointment so your physiotherapist can see how you’re progressing and tweak your treatment plan if needed.
Get in touch
To book an appointment, call 020 7806 4010 or email [email protected]